You know you’re in 2017 when chocolate fudge with sugar icing isn’t your go-to cake recipe anymore!
Here at Social Bouquet, we like to stir things up, and this Swedish invention does just the trick -although maybe a little off beat for some of us sweet-toothed cake lovers!
This savory bread-cake makes for a delicious healthier twist. The various layers of bread are filled with vegetables, meat or seafood, and complemented with a canvas of savory creamy cheese icing between each layer (not a fan of cream cheese? This bread cake is just as tasty with a nutrient packed Guacamole).
Now since we’re not all big salad fans, this club sandwich may just be our alternative meal, high in fiber, high in nutrients and high in vitamins!
Show your flare and express yourself by decorating your bread-cake in your own way, drawing inspiration from your surroundings and the things you love most, like the flowers in your garden, the butterflies on your little one’s pyjamas, or the drawings on the cover of your favorite book.
While this bread-cake might resemble a classic sandwich, its fillings are inspired by American cuisine and it is easily customizable. Whether you’re a cheese lover, an avocado fan, or a vegan, no matter what your taste is, this delicious dish is your way to go.
Are you ready to amaze your guests yet? Throw your next party, and leave your comments (and your guests’) below!
What You Need for 4 layers sandwich cake!
– 5 Pain suedois (Swedish bread)
– 210g Smoked turkey
– 150g Bacon
– Swiss cheese slices.
– 4 eggs
Icing for the sandwich cake:
– 150g fresh cheese Philadelphia
– 4 creamy cheese Carré Frais
– tbs Lemon juice
– Lemon zest (optional)
– Pinch of salt, pepper and garlic salt
Topping (Salad look alike):
– Mix salad Romaine, arugula, spinach, mizuna, chard, oak salad
– 1 tomato
– Organic cherry tomatoes (colorful ones)
– 150g Bresaola
– Fresh creamy cheese
– Small sticks
- Mix together cream cheese, fresh cream and lemon for exterior icing. You can use a hand mixer to soften your cream cheese. Do not forget to add seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic salt).
- Place a layer of Swedish bread as a base, on a plate or piece of parchment paper (for easy transfer to a serving piece later).
- Paste the mixture of icing on the surface of the Swedish bread.
- Add the lettuce , smoked turkey, bacon, slices of cheese, tomato and cucumber . You may also add the eggs. You need to fried the eggs Over hard , until both the white and the yolk are completely cooked.
- Press second piece of bread down on top. Use a scrap piece of bread to help press things together to avoid getting butter fingers.
- Fillings to be adjusted according to how many layers you are craving.
- At this point, things might look a little messy, but things will be covered with icing cheese cream. Use flat spatula to spread the icing evenly.
- It’s time to be creative, by decorating your bread-cake in your own way. I personally designer the surface of the cake as a first serving salad. First, i placed all the mix greens salad. Second, my focal point was my center piece where i cut the tomato into half then into really thing slices, after that i spread them into a line and rolled them to obtain my tomato flower shape. Third, i decorated all around by rolling brasaola filled with fresh cheese cream pinched with wooden sticks and cherry tomato at the top.
Photos by: tzesikailiovitsphotography